The decision to become a member of the River Road Unitarian Universalist Congregation represents an important milestone in your spiritual journey.
In joining us, you are making a public statement that you want to become more involved in the celebration and services of our community life, and, committing yourself to become part of our liberal religious presence in the greater Washington DC area. (If you haven’t visited us yet, learn more at Visit.)
Usually, this is how one becomes a member of our community:
- Participate in the Inquirers. our eight part series covering the basics of Unitarian Universalism and RRUUC. Session are held most Sundays after services. Drop in or register online.
- Review Our Beliefs and River Road’s Covenant (future) to determine if they match with your own beliefs and inclinations.
- Complete an Statement of Intent to Join form.
- Talk with Sheri Blanchette, Director of Membership & Outreach, about your intent to join and have your questions about membership answered. 301-229-0400, ext. 102
- Sign the Membership Book at a Joining Ceremony held on the first Sunday each month.
- Make a financial pledge and volunteer commitment to support the work of the congregation.
- Participate in a New Member Recognition Ceremony. This is held once a year in the Spring during a Sunday Worship Service.
Signing the Membership Book is the beginning of a new relationship.
As a member you are a full participant in our on-going ministry and in the creation of our congregation’s shared future. Members have the right to vote for resolutions in congregational meetings and in elections, and may serve as an elected official. While this does not affect most of our week-to-week experiences at River Road, when important decisions are voted on you may want to have your say.
We encourage you to get involved in ways that both nourish you spiritually and challenge you to give of yourself for others. How you do that is up to you, but know that we covenant to be on this spiritual journey together so you are not alone. We welcome you and the unique gifts you bring to share with this congregation and our larger movement.