Coming of Age is offered for 9th grade youth at 11:15 on the dates listed below. Components of the program include:
- Personal Challenge. Participants will take part in activities that challenge and build their skills, competence and confidence.
- Credo Statement. Youth will develop a statement of belief that reflects their current religious or spiritual beliefs and present this statement in a service in the fall of the following year.
- Mentors. Each youth will work with an adult mentor throughout the program. Parents will be invited to participate in sessions focusing on communication and teen issues. Mentors and youth will meet at least once a month as a Covenant Group to discuss relevant topics and participate in activities.
- Trip to Boston (odd number years). Youth will go on a 3-night trip to Boston to tour the UUA and UUSC headquarters, visit area UU churches, and explore our UU history in Boston. Our next trip is May 26-29, 2017.
- Reviewing and summarizing religious and spiritual growth and learning as youth prepare for the transition to adulthood.
- Exploring ways to articulate one’s Unitarian Universalist identity.
- Experience service to others as a primary component of the UU faith.
- Practicing communication and negotiation skills with parents.
- Developing a sense of self as a maturing individual. Learning what it means to be a member of a faith community.
- Creating and strengthening friendships and connections within the community.
Remaining Dates for 2015-16
- October 15- Rehearsal/Dinner for COA worship
- October 16 - COA Worship Service
Dates for 2016-17
- 9/24: Trapeze School outing
- 10/9: First Session — Parents and youth
- 11/6: First session with mentors, parents and youth
- 2/25/2016: DC UU Heritage Tour
Sunday Sessions 11:15-12:30:
- October 9
- November 6
- December 4 and 18
- January 8 and 22
- Feb 5 and 26
- March 19
- April 2
- May 7