9th - 12th Grades 9:15a: YRUU (Young Religious Unitarian Universalists)
YRUU youth ministry features topics selected by the youth at their annual Youth Group Retreat in August. They use a small group ministry model to create a trusting environment for sharing significant aspects of teen life and spiritual development alternating between discussion and hands on projects about important events and issues in the world, and experiencing different spiritual and physical activities. There are many opportunities to participate in social justice events, service activities and to gather for fun and friendship.
The High School Youth Ministry has different components allowing youth to participate in different ways. They include:
- Youth Group 9:15a (Please see the schedule of activities.)
- OWL (Our Whole Lives) Sexuality Education for 10th-12th Graders 11:15 (offered in 2017)
- Coming of Age for 9th Graders 11:15a
- Boston Trip Group (every other year)
- Credo Statements
- Service Learning Trips
- West Virginia with Big Creek People in Action
- Youth Worship Associates share one worship associate position.
- Youth Religious Education Assistant allows youth to teach in in the Prek-5th grade classes on a regular schedule.
Youth are also encouraged to participate fully in the life of the congregation: attend worship services, volunteer for committees, sing in one of the choirs, lead religious education gatherings, and attend adult education classes.
The Youth Ministry Committee (YMC), a committee comprised of youth and adults, is responsible for the oversight of the program. All youth are invited to attend meetings to share ideas and feedback. YMC meets on the first Sunday of each month from 10:30-11:15 a.m.
For more information contact Beth Irikura birikura(at)rruuc.org, Religious Educator for Youth.