The word stewardship refers to the careful and responsible management of something of value entrusted to one’s care. At this unprecedented time, River Road Unitarian Universalist Congregation is meeting the moment–providing inspiration, joy, music, and good company to help ease the strain of prolonged isolation and disruption from our normal routines. Through this campaign, each and every one of us must play a role as stewards to care for a place we hold dear.
Your financial support sustains RRUUC. Everyone who participates in River Road, whether as a member, friend, or occasional guest or participant, is encouraged to pledge. Again, membership is not required. We annually welcome pledges from those who choose not to formally join the congregation.
Contributions are fully tax deductible and you will receive quarterly statements.
Our goal for the 2021-2022 campaign is $990,000!
The annual stewardship campaign officially begins Feb. 28 and runs through March 28. This is when we identify through pledges the bulk of the money we need to fund our operations for RRUUC’s upcoming financial year, which runs from July 1, 2021, to June 30, 2022.
Pledges have typically funded approximately 80% annual operating expenses, but this is far from a typical year. For this year and next, we know the percentage will be higher. The pandemic has negatively affected our finances with the loss of rental income and our annual bazaar, among other activities. Additionally, beginning with the next budget cycle, the Board has committed to setting aside specific budget funds for non-routine maintenance of our award-winning mid-century building.
The ministers and Board of Trustees have addressed the challenges posed by our new virtual world in many ways:
- Adapted our worship formats to share our message in a virtual world and made major investments in equipment and staffing to support live streaming and other forms of online worship and programming
- Changed position descriptions and primary responsibilities for staff to align more clearly with virtual demands and to bring consistently high-quality worship and small group programming to our community
- Formed partnerships with other congregations to create online programs that keep us connected and help us be more effective (the Potomac Partnership worship collaboration and food distribution with Clifton Park Baptist Church)
- Continued our historic commitment to social justice, including unanimous passage of a congregational resolution on racial justice and successful online fundraisers for Partner Church and the College Access Fund as well as others
- Organized ourselves to leverage incredible generosity in a time of financial crisis for many in our community, including organizing drives for food and toys around the holidays
- Convened a Capital Budget Working Group to organize ourselves to make major financial commitments to our building for the long term, including a new roof and gutters
Read more about the 2021-2022 stewardship campaign in this brochure.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much should I pledge?
The amount you pledge is a personal decision. But make no mistake — your pledge, of whatever amount, is important. To help you determine how much to give, this chart outlines suggested categories. Last year’s average household pledge was $2,784.
|Giving Category||Giving Range|
|Up to $2,000|
Up to $3,000
|$2,000 – $4,000|
$3,000 – $5,000
If you are a continuing donor – we thank you! Please consider increasing your contribution by 4% or moving up to a new giving category, if you are able. You can also consider pledging according to UUA’s Fair Share Contribution Guide, which suggests giving between 2% and 10% of your income.
When should I pledge?
- Pledges made now are intended to be fulfilled between July 1, 2021, and June 30, 2022, though you are welcome to fulfill your pledge immediately, if you like.
How can I fulfill (pay) my pledge?
- Online. You can make a secured, one-time payment from your bank account or credit card. You can also set up automatic payments from your bank account or credit card as well as check your prior gifts and pledge balance. Click here to pay online.
- Text-to-Give. You can use your phone to give a secure contribution by texting to: 73256 then message: RRUUC + amount.
- By Check. You can mail a check to River Road. Be sure to note Operating 21-22 on the “Memo” line.
- By Phone. You can pay by phone with a credit card by calling our office, 301-229-0400, ext. 101.
- Transfer of Stock. You can pay by transferring ownership of stock to River Road. Please follow these Stock Donation Guidelines.
- Qualified Charitable Distributions. If you are 70-1/2 or older, you may be able to reduce your income taxes by making Qualified Charitable Deductions (QCDs) from your IRA account as outlined here. Find answers to some of your questions on the IRS site here.
How can I learn more about RRUUC’s operating budget?
The current year’s budget can be found on the Board of Trustees page here.
What if I want more information?
Please contact us! Email your questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.