The word stewardship refers to the careful and responsible management of something of value entrusted to one’s care. A pledge to the annual stewardship campaign supports RRUUC’s operating expenses and sustains our congregation. Everyone who participates in River Road, whether as a member, friend, or occasional guest or participant, is encouraged to pledge. Membership is not required. We welcome pledges from those who choose not to formally join the congregation.
The next scheduled annual stewardship campaign will take place in February and March 2022. This is when we will ask everyone to make a pledge to raise the bulk of the money we need to fund our operations for RRUUC’s next financial year, which will run from July 1, 2022, to June 30, 2023.
However, pledges for the current year are welcome anytime and can be made by clicking the link at left to the 2021-2022 pledge form or by sending an email indicating your pledge amount to email@example.com. All pledges made before February 2022, unless indicated otherwise, will be applied to the 2021-2022 fiscal year.
Pledges have typically funded approximately 80% of RRUUC’s annual operating expenses. These include the salaries and benefits for our talented staff, religious education costs, building and grounds upkeep, and some money for non-routine maintenance of our award-winning mid-century building, among many other expenses. Other revenue includes rental fees for the building and income from the annual bazaar.
Contributions are fully tax deductible and you will receive quarterly statements.
This brochure from the 2021-2022 stewardship campaign provides an overview of our costs and how River Road has adjusted its programs and services during the global pandemic.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much should I pledge?
The amount you pledge is a personal decision. But make no mistake — your pledge, of whatever amount, is important. To help you determine how much to give, this chart outlines RRUUC’s suggested categories. Last year’s average household pledge was $3,040.
|Giving Category||Giving Range|
|Supporter||Individual Couple||Up to $2,000 Up to $3,000|
|Sustainer||Individual Couple||$2,000 – $4,000 $3,000 – $5,000|
|Visionary||Individual Couple||Over $4,000 Over $5,000|
You can also consider pledging according to UUA’s Fair Share Contribution Guide, which suggests giving between 2% and 10% of your income.
How can I fulfill (pay) my pledge?
You can fulfill your pledge any time that works for you before or during the fiscal year (July 1 – June 30). Here are all the methods for making a payment on your pledge:
- Online. You can make a secured, one-time payment from your bank account or credit card. You can also set up automatic payments from your bank account or credit card as well as check your prior gifts and pledge balance. Click here to pay online.
- Text-to-Give. You can use your phone to give a secure contribution by texting to: 73256 then message: RRUUC + amount.
- By Check. You can mail a check to River Road. Be sure to note Operating 21-22 on the “Memo” line.
- By Phone. You can pay by phone with a credit card by calling our office, 301-229-0400, ext. 101.
- Transfer of Stock. You can pay by transferring ownership of stock to River Road. Please follow these Stock Donation Guidelines.
- Qualified Charitable Distributions. If you are 70-1/2 or older, you may be able to reduce your income taxes by making Qualified Charitable Deductions (QCDs) from your IRA account as outlined here. Find answers to some of your questions on the IRS site here.
How can I learn more about RRUUC’s operating budget?
The 2020-21 budget can be found on the Board of Trustees page here.
What if I want more information?
Please contact us! Email your questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.