COA Friendship and Decentering Self
The Ideal Friend
- Makes a list of ten characteristics that you associate with an ideal friend.
- Thinking of two or three best friends, put your friend’s initials next to the characteristics on the list.
- Place a star next to the characteristics that you believe that you possess.
- Circle any characteristics that you feel that you need to work on.
Characteristics of decentering are accountability with others, giving encouragement, and sharing experiences (both good and bad.)
Another characteristic is deep listening. Watch this video Then:
- Get together with a friend and practice listening without fixing, saving, or advising them. Listen without thinking about what you’ll say back.
- Set up a check-in with a friend to encourage each other on something you are working on like a sport skill, homework, art project, etc.